Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Happy New Year!

Well, maybe a little early. But the new church year begins on December 1 with the First Sunday of Advent!

My writing has been dormant for a while now, and not just on this blog. I haven't even been writing for the church newsletter! It's pretty bad, you guys.

Anyway, it's time to breathe some life into this blog again, and I've had a few things on my mind lately. Some of those things will find their way onto this blog.

One little gem I've had in the back of my mind is a quote from John Jantsch which he shared on an episode of Kitchen Table Talk (the 13:20 mark of this episode): "If we manage our energy, we don't have to worry about managing time" and Chris Brogan distilled it to "Don't manage time, manage energy." Everyone is worried about time management, but I think energy management makes more sense. He explained it in greater detail here.

As I've been thinking about how I spend my time or my energy, I've noticed some themes have emerge over the last ten months or so, mainly that I commit almost all of my energy into the following four channels: my family, education, the church, and martial arts. Just about anything I do falls under one or more of these categories, emphasis on "or more" because sometimes there is substantial overlap. These are not four separate departments or divisions. So don't be surprised when my blog posts going forward include one (or more) of those four labels.

The fact that it is four channels is also screaming at me because of a book sitting on a shelf that I've been actively avoiding for too long. It's one of those things that I've kept putting off because the conditions weren't perfect, the timing wasn't right, or whatever. It's Seth Godin's updated and simplified version of Zig Ziglar's Legendary Goals Program. Seth calls it Pick Four. I received it as a gift from Rev. Tom Eggebrecht.

I also want to give a shout out to Gary Vaynerchuk, because his newly released book Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook helped me find the desire to make a concerted effort to find my voice again in social media (I've been pretty hit or miss over the last six years or so). I've been reading it the past couple of days in the car (I have a long commute to my "day job" so I have a lot of time to "read" while I drive).

So this blog post is my way of saying I'm back. I hope that you find what I share here to be helpful, valuable, and if nothing else, entertaining.