Saturday, October 1, 2011

IT'S GERMAN MONTH!

Today is the first day in October. My mission this month is to reactivate and learn as much of the German language as I can, given that I took German in high school.

My primary guide for this mission will be Benny the Irish Polyglot's Why German is Easy (aff link). I bought it earlier this summer and will publish a substantial review after this mission is complete. His guide is packed full of great stuff, and some of that will spill out over the course of the month. Here are some other resources I'll use:
Important note: The first week will be all about setting the bar really low and focusing on developing the habit of hitting my daily goals. Then when the habit is established, I'll increase the workload. It's going to be very simple, like reading the small catechism out loud for five minutes per day or something like that.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, I need to learn from the mistakes of last month's mission, and I'd like love to have an increased level of engagement from my team at Mission Control (click that link if you'd like to join Mission Control - it's my email newsletter). Hopefully the folks at Mission Control can help me set some crystal clear goals and objectives, among other things.

Here are some objectives I'd like to meet on this mission:
  • Converse in person with native German speakers at least once a week in the second half of the month
  • Converse with fluent German speakers for at least ten minutes over the internet three times a week (Skype, Google Voice, Google Hangouts, etc.)
  • Sit in on one German class at my high school alma mater (pending permission)
  • listen to a German news broadcast three days per week
If you have any other suggestions, a great way to share them is via the Mission Control newsletter. After you receive one of my newsletters, just reply to it and I'll receive your email. That's the best way to contact me regarding my monthly missions.

What languages, if any, did you study in high school or when you were growing up? How long has it been since you last used it / them?

Photograph note: The black book on the desk is Dr Luthers kleiner Katechismus mit Erklärung, the beer is Hacker-Pschorr Original Oktoberfest, and I'm wearing one of my high school German Club t-shirts.