Friday, October 7, 2011

How You Can Save Twenty Dollars on Treasures Old and New

New Twenty Dollar billAt some point in my time as a Concordia Seminary student in Saint Louis, I purchased a paperback copy of Treasures Old & New by John C. Jeske, which is a successor to Licht auf dem Weg by Heinrich Bitzer (for more background, read Rev. Dr. Andrew Steinmann's review of Treasures for the Lutheran Education Journal). Treasures is published by Northwestern Publishing House, the publishing arm of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod, and is reasonably priced at $25. Last year they put out a hardcover edition that costs $50. I don't know anyone at NPH, but I have a theory as to why they came out with the hardcover

The book itself has great content, but the problem is that it's a book to be used daily, and the paperback edition does not want to stay open. It will not lay flat. It's not at all conducive to study unless you hold the book in your hands. That's just not practical, especially if you want to reference any other materials (such as an English translation of Holy Scripture). I assume that their solution to this problem was to produce a hardcover edition that does lay flat.

I didn't know when I bought my paperback that there was a hardcover edition (it might not have been released yet when I bought my copy), but I don't regret my purchase because I actually saved myself twenty bucks (not including any discount I was entitled to as a seminary student).

Twenty bucks? Last time I checked, fifty minus twenty-five equaled twenty-five. How do you account the missing five dollars?

Here's what I did, and you can do it, too:
  1. Buy the paperback for $25.
  2. Take your paperback copy to Staples, Office Depot, Office Max, etc., and have them spiral bind it.
  3. Pick up your book when you're done and it should cost five dollars or less.
Slicing off the old binding, drilling the holes and installing a plastic spiral set me back less than five dollars, but I've rounded up for simplicity's sake.

My paperback now lays flat. I can keep it open on my desk in my office and never have to close it if I don't want to. This arrangement is so much more conducive to study as I can have my ESV open side by side so that I'm not juggling any books. For less than five bucks I turned a frustrating, unusable book into an easy-to-use daily exegetical tool, and I couldn't be happier with it!