Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Mission Control

Mission Control
From now on, I'm taking on missions. No, I'm not going on mission trips or becoming a foreign missionary, I'm going to be taking on challenges to help shape and define what it is I'm doing with my life. Not all of my missions will be explicitly or implicitly academic, but they will be about acquiring or strengthening skills and abilities.

The problem with many goals or resolutions that we set is that they're too vague. The blog 30 sleeps has a quote from Benny the Irish Polyglot (he comes up more and more, it seems) that applies to this topic:
If you really want to be fluent, I recommend abandoning the thought process of “achieving fluency” entirely. Setting a goal of “speak $language fluently” is too vague to be achievable. It implies that some day you will reach the point where you can finally say, “I speak Klingon fluently!” But that day will never come.

You need to have more concrete goals spread across a small number of days or weeks that eventually add up to something tangible, such as, “This week I will learn vocabulary related to objects in the house” or, “Today I will work on my consonant pronunciation.”
My tenure at St. Peter's is a little over 20 months, so that's about how many monthly missions I will take on. I already have some ideas for what I'd like to do on these missions, and I have a feeling that some of you will want to know what next month's mission will be before it kicks off here on the blog on the first of the month. More importantly, I need your help making vague goals more concrete. Help me define milestones and objectives toward my goals - you can have a hand in creating my missions! The newsletter will also include mission notes and updates throughout the month that will not appear on the blog until after the mission is over.

If you want this insider information and will actively participate in my missions, just subscribe to my brand new email newsletter called Mission Control. Just plug in your email address and click subscribe.

Enter your email address:


A TinyLetter Email Newsletter

And get onboard quick! The first newsletter will go out within 72 hours.